Monday, January 25, 2010

January 2010 & beyond

So in hopes of actually reading all the books I've wanted/needed to read and of all the free time I currently have ( due to no longer being in school!!!!) I have decided that this year will be one of books! I have made it my goal to read at least 4 books a month for the next year. I also want to share with others what I have read, maybe even get some suggestions for what to read next! I will review here all books read and let you know what I think about it. For the month of January I will probably not reach my 4 books but I did just start 2 weeks ago!

So far I have finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown ( this one I started reading about mid-Dec) and read in full Julie and Julia by Julie Powell and A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray. Also, A Great and Terrible Beauty is from a trilogy and I have currently started the second book, Rebel Angels.


As far as reviews for the first 3 books, here goes nothing.......

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
The 3rd in Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series ( hopefully not the last) was a wonderful addition to the story. I was loved that Dan Brown had finally brought Robert Langdon and his adventure to the United States. For someone who had never been to Rome or Paris is was really refreshing to read a book set in a place where I could visualize the character to because I too had been there. I would recommend this book to anyone who has or hasn't read the other books featuring Robert Langdon. If I were going to give it a star rating, which get ready for it...... 4.5 of 5 stars!

Julie and Julia By Julie Powell
If anyone is ever compelled to read this book, I say DO IT, but first see the movie. Unlike like most books turned into a movie, the movie actually does a good job of showing what Julia Powell was getting at. I don't know about you but when I read a book I usually hear voices in my head. NO I'm not crazy I just like to have a face and voice to the character I'm reading, which is why I usually like to read before I watch. But in the case I did read the book after seeing the movie, I loved listening to Amy Adams in my head! She is just so darn cute! This book reads much like a blog and is very easy to read and relate to. After all this book and movie is some what responsible for my wanting to do this blog. I like , Julia Child and Julie Powell, want to share my love something with the world. I liked this book, it was a very easy and fast read but I doubt it's one I'll ever read over. 3.5 of 5 stars!

A Great and Terrible Beauty By Libba Bray
When I first picked up this book it was because it was compared to Harry Potter. So I'm thinking, "Hey! How bad could it be?" Not bad at all! I was however slightly disappointed at first. This book is very hard to get in to, I found myself really bored until about the 8th chapter or so. But once I was hooked, I WAS hooked. Couldn't put it down! For those of you have never heard of this book, and I'm guessing that's most people....This book tells the story of 16 year Gemma Doyle. On her 16th birthday, Gemma's mother is sudden taken from her and she discovers she has a supernatural gift. After being sent to boarding school in London ( until then she has lived in India) she had to discover who she is and what her gift means for her. OH MY!!!!
Sounds good right? Now go read it! I have a copy I'll lend it to you! Like I said before this is the first in a trilogy and I'm currently reading the second, Rebel Angels! So stayed tuned for my review on the next installment of Gemma Doyle! 3.5 of 5 stars

No comments: