Saturday, May 29, 2010

3 novels, 2 days

May has clearly been a month of graphic novels. I have read 6, 4 of them in the pass 5 days!

I think I'm addicted.

I mean in the past 24 hours I have read 3!


I started with this....

Bone: Eyes of the Storm by Jeff Smith

Which lead to this.....
Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi

And ended with this.....

Twilight: The Graphic Novel Volume 1 by Stephenie Meyer, Art and Adaptation by Young Kim

First of all I would like to say,

Hi my name is Elizabeth and I am a twilight fan. [now you say "Hi Elizabeth"]
( I will not be ashamed!)

Anywho, I really like all three of these graphic novels. Obviously, I couldn't put them down.
I was excited to read the next installment of Bone and like it just as much, if not better, as the first two volumes. In fact I would like to give it half a star more than the others because I find the more I read the better I like it. Once I have finished all nine volumes I will go into more detail but for now Bone: Eyes of the Storm gets 3.5 of 5 stars.

Persepolis 2 : The Story of a Return is the continuation of Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood, both by Marjane Satrapi. I first learned of the books in my young adult fiction class and was entranced from the very first page. Persepolis is a story of young Marjane dealing with growing up in war-torn Iran. At 14, her parents decided it is to dangerous for her to continue living there and send her to school in Austria.

That is where Persepolis 2 picks up. She shows of her life in Austria and the hardships she had to face there while in high school. It also tells of here return to Iran at age 18 and how she felt about the country she left and the country she returned to.

These graphic novels are a wonderful coming of age tale for any young girl. Despite being set in war-torn Iran and the European Culture of the 1980-90s, I really think any teen girl can relate to Marjane. I think what I loved best about these novels is that , like Maus I & II, they are based on a true story, in this case autobiographical. In addition to being relatable, I found it really taught me more about the politics in Iran ( for that time), I learned things that I thought I'd never really know or understand. 5 of 5 stars!

Now for Twilight: The Graphic Novel.
I read it in an hour. It's only half the story of Twilight the novel but there is a volume 2. The story is exactly the same. Except there are pictures.

And let me say the pictures were weird. When you read a book, you always get an image of the characters in your head ( at least I do!) and then you see the movie and then one of two things happens.

1) The actors are exactly how you pictured the characters.

2) The casting directors got it all wrong. WHAT were they thinking?

This graphic novel just added a third look into the mix. The artist is from Korea, she did a phenomenal job on the artwork but have you ever pictured the Twilight Characters in Manga?
If that's even what it's called.....
It wasn't bad, it was just weird.

This book wasn't really that big a deal, I read it cause I'm currently addicted to graphic novels and I really just wanted to read another one.
If you are like me and addicted to graphic novels read it, the pictures ( thought not my idea of the characters) are amazing!

If you are a twilight fan and need a new fix, read it. It will satisfy your craving.

If you can't stand twilight and wish Edward Cullen would die, I don't suggest you read it. It's not gonna be your cup of tea.

But I liked it, it was alright. Not a 5 of 5 stars great but it still gets 3!

No comments: