Friday, April 16, 2010

Columbine


Like the Kennedy assassination, September 11 or any other American tragedy, the massacre at Columbine High School will never be forgotten. Most remember where they were when they heard or at least something about that day. I don't remember when I excatly heard about the event but I remember coming home from school and my mom had decided she was pulling my brother and I out of school. If you ask her she will deny this but it happened just the same. At the time I don't think I realized the gravity of the situation, being a selfish, naive high school freshman I was worried more about my mom's decision than what had occurred.
As with most things, I grew up and became less selfish and naive. I knew what most everyone knew about that day, what the media speculated and reported, I had seen the interviews with victim's family, witnesses and survivors. I knew nothing.

This novel is a haunting look into that fateful day, the years that lead up to it and the years following. Dave Cullen gives an in-depth look into the lives and minds of Eric Harris and Dylan Kelbold. As well as the effect the event had on the town of Littleton, the families of the 13 victims, the survivors and their families and the school with it's returning students and teachers.

When I say "I knew nothing" , it's because it's true. According to Cullen and the facts he uncovered, through countless interviews and tons of paperwork, the media had most of the facts wrong. I won't go into details but after reading this novel I realized that day was more tragic for those involved than anyone could have guess. I wouldn't recommend this book for the faint of heart, it tells it like it is. If you do read it prepare to be extra emotional by the end, I didn't cry but I was emotionally upset by all I had learned.To be honest, I really didn't know what to say about it here and I have decided that it wouldn't be respectful for me to rate this book on any scale. If you are interested in the subject then read it but if you aren't then don't. For those of you who do read it or just want a little information Dave Cullen has several supplements on his site to this book.

Up next Lucky Man by Michael J. Fox.

No comments: