Saturday, February 20, 2010

Dear John, Another Distraction


I still haven't finish A Sweet Far Thing, that book is very long and difficult to read but I will prevail and finish it this week! It will be my 4th book for February, keeping me right on track! On Friday night out of boredom of watching Josh start and finish Modern Warfare 2 video game I started reading Dear John by Nicholas Sparks. I don't know what I was thinking, thought I like Sparks writing and it's easy to read; his books make me cry and remind me even further of the love I want by don't have. Don't worry I'm not gonna get all depressed on you, that's just how his stories make me feel! But I"m glad to report that this is the first Sparks novel I've read that a main character didn't die!!!!!! If you have never read a Sparks novel, someone always dies. I think it's his go to when he needs to end it!

Any who, despite the crying I liked this book. I think it's actually my favorite Sparks novel ( I've only read two others, The Notebook and A Walk to Remember) so far, though I 'm not sure how many others I will read, I'm not a fan of the crying and dying thing. I think another reason I liked this novel more than his other is because it's set in modern time, made it so much easier to relate to. It's set in 2000-2006 and goes into the war on Iraq and the events of 9/11. Knowing that these things are still affecting our everyday and reading Sparks view on it hit close to home in a way that reminded me that it's still very real. Like I said, it's much easier to relate too.

As far a my star rating I'm gonna give this book 4 of 5 stars but only because I cried so much, I don't like the crying! Just like The Time Traveler's Wife, I will eventually watch the film and give my review on it as well. If you were considering reading this book but still weren't sure I hope this post helps.

1 comment:

jefferies321 said...

Actually, I think I just might read this. The movie looked interesting, but I was worried that the main character would die, I'm glad it doesn't happen though! That makes it so much better just knowing!